Xiaoxiao ''Sherry'' Liu, Esq.Attorney
Xiaoxiao “Sherry” Liu is admitted to practice in California, New York and the People's Republic of China. Ms. Liu’s background and experience in both the US and Chinese legal systems allows her to create, review and analyze complex legal documents in both Chinese and English. Ms. Liu successfully supports many emerging technology start-ups in all aspects of corporate law matters, including incorporation, debt and capital financing, mergers & acquisitions, securities law compliance, as well as general corporate representation including technology licensing and sublicensing, master services agreements, software as services agreements, terms and conditions, end-user license agreements, share reverse splits, employee incentive plans, non-disclosure, and non-competition agreements.
Ms. Liu’s bilingual and bicultural background also helps her in providing legal advice to international companies in corporate structure and governance, including joint venture, Cayman Islands offshore company formation, VIE structure setup, re-domiciliation, import and export, and FIRRMA compliance.
Ms. Liu obtained her bachelor’s degree of law (LLB) from Shanghai Jiao Tong University and her master’s degree of law (LLM) from the University of California Hastings College of Law. While at UC Hastings College of Law, she served as the research assistant of Professor Frank H. Wu, the ex-chancellor of UC Hastings, and the first Chinese American chancellor, in the research of cases about human rights and democracy in modern US society.
Ms. Liu is also a LinkedIn columnist as well as the founder of a social media platform, which attracted more than 100,000 subscribers.
L.L.M., University of California Hastings College of Law , 2016
CALI Award for Academic Excellence, Corporate Finance Research Assistant for Professor Frank Wu, UC Hastings Chancellor
L.L.B., Shanghai Jiaotong University, 2015
Visiting Student at Nagoya University Law School (Nagoya, Japan), under CAMPUS ASIA Scholarship Exchange Student at Sungkyunguan University Law School (Seoul, Korea) under Korean government scholarship
New York, 2017
People’s Republic of China, 2019
California Bar Association
Member Since: 2019
New York Bar Association
Member Since: 2017
People’s Republic of China Bar Association
Member Since: 2019
- US and China-Plug and Play: Ten Years with Chinese start-ups (before an audience in excess of 40,000 attendees)
- Seattle, Washington – Seattle Entrepreneurship Club: The most common pitfalls of startups
- San Francisco Bay Area-Avacado Toast (a podcast platform with over 10,000 clicks): How to allocate share ownership among founders?
- US and China-Brinc Accelerator-Stock Options, how it works?
- Boston, Massachusetts-MIT Chinese Entrepreneurs Organization-What founders need to know about Venture Capital Financing
Chinese (Madarin and Cantonese), Korean, Japanese
Represented clients in more than 30 M&A deals, amounts ranging from $3 million to $75 million.
- $75 million stock purchase deal of a semiconductor company by a big technology company.
- $38 million reverse triangular merger of a Series B-round data analytics company by an international
- $13 million asset purchase acquisition of a data science company by a Japanese company.
- $9.7 million stock sale of a consulting company structured as management buyout.
Venture Capital Financing
Represented clients in more than 50 venture capital financing deals, amounts ranging from $1 million to $22.5 million.
- $22.5 million Series B round venture capital financing of an automated parking systems manufacturing company.
- $12 million Series A financing of an offshore entity led by a major fund in China.
- Numerous convertible note financings, SAFE and KISS financings.
- Worked on the intra-family succession transfer of real properties including membership interest assignment of numerous LLCs.
- Commercial litigation support for a complex $17 million cross-border dispute and also for IP litigation between Tesla and a Chinese auto-pilot company.
- Drafted and negotiated the commercial lease and sublease for a local preschool.
- Formation, tax exemption and providing general counsel for a non-profit.